Monday, February 21, 2011

GUY ON THE COUCH

After completing a year abroad in Australia, I attended a school in Brooklyn, NY. While there, I lived in a small apartment with a tiny galley kitchen flanked by 2 bedrooms, each of which, were jam packed with 3 people. The summer before, I had met Ed while working at a day camp, where we became fast friends. After a few weeks of school in Brooklyn, Ed gave me a call saying he was interested in possibly attending the same school, and was wondering if he could crash at my apartment. I asked the guys, some of whom knew him a bit, if he could crash on the couch for a couple of days, and they said “of course.”

One day about three weeks later, I’m walking back from school with my roommates, when suddenly they turn to me and ask, “Hey, it’s not that we don’t like Ed or anything, because we do, but do you know how long he’s planning on sticking around?” I assured them that I was quite certain he wasn’t planning on sticking around much longer and thanked them for their hospitality. Just then, we approached the door of our apartment. I open the door and we all walk in to find Ed standing on the couch tapping on one of the windows. “We better get this window fixed” he said with a concerned look on his face, “it’s gonna get really cold in the winter!” Timing wasn't always his thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment